Sunday, September 19, 2010

Atonement


Yesterday was Yom kippur and instead of atoning for all things I should atone for (which are plenty) I thought about what play I wanted to write. I sat around on my bed, in the living room, watched Mad Men, spoke to my mother and stared at my toenails. I made pasta for dinner, decided not to meet up with anyone and looked at words I had written. It was not until this morning, after a sleepless night filled with anxiety, that I figured out what it was really all about. It might have been some sort of atonement for the things I shouldn't have written this past year. Or maybe it was just a much needed day of thought and nothing else. Here are some of the things I should've atoned for but didn't have time for:
Being addicted to Mad Men (there are other things to do)
Gossip
Not calling my little sister enough and making fun of her boyfriend
Not reading books I promised to read
Canceling appointments last minute
Being late
Judging people by what they wear (as if it actually says something about them?)
Saying I hated someone, when it really wasn't necessary
This year will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment