Thursday, July 1, 2010

Places I used to go to


The Pink Elephant. A random Thai restaurant that a friend, who I also don't see anymore, brought me to once and became my go-to restaurant. I don't remember why. The food was average and the place looked like it could fall apart at anytime. It was painted yellow and had bead curtains at strange places. It actually still exist; I passed it not so long ago and it looked exactly the same. It made me sad and long for a time when I wasn't such a snob.
205. A club on Chrystie street with plywood panels and silver wall paper a la factory. We went to an empty halloween party there once dressed as sheep.
Raffifi. A dirty dance extravaganza that smelled like old and new sweat and teenage angst. I saw someone pee against the wall once. He thought a curtain was covering him. It wasn't.
Delancy bar. A bar near the williamsburg bridge. I think it was possible to sit on the roof. It's still there. No need to go back.
A vegetarian or vegan place in the east village that I don't remember the name of. We used to hang out at the bar because a friend knew the bartender. I tried the food once. Didn't need to try it again.
Beauty bar. It had old beauty salon stuff and apparently gave away free manicures at happy hour. I never actually saw that happening in real life. It might just be to lure in customers, I don't know.
Hangar bar. My old roommate knew someone who worked there. They sold vintage clothes.
Welcome to the Johnson's. Beer in plastic cups.
151 Rivington. It had low ceilings and a bar tender named Danny.
Annex. They had concerts and good Thursday nights. The last time I was there an extremely modern avant garde strange sounding pianist played songs everybody seemed to appreciate except me.
The box. Naked people and juggling midgets are only entertaining for a limited amount of time.
Black and White. The first time I tried to go they didn't let me in because I wasn't 21. They had motown nights on Tuesday. I once had a brief affair with the bartender. It didn't last.
Darkroom. We ended up there for my birthday once. (22? 21?) We danced to songs we didn't know and were the only ones there.
Beatrice Inn. I still go there in my dreams. Its closing might be the healthiest thing that ever happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment