Friday, October 26, 2012

Nr 153 in the list of unexpected topics of conversation

Judith Butler. These past weeks I have spent more time talking, thinking and arguing about Judith Butler than I would ever deem necessary. Today she came up again. I went to a performance (or rather what seemed like a spoof by comedians ridiculing the art world. If they had promoted it that way, I would've had a much better time. Unfortunately this was not the case. It included a bunch of cameras, projection screens, a guy singing a children's song in a microphone, a guy telling some confusing story about going to a museum, and a bunch of dancers doing typical modern dance movements to a loud migraine inducing soundscape which was so penetrating it seemed like a subway, or tube, could burst though the walls at any time. In the artist description, the artist referenced 'performative impulses' as an important part of his art. I noticed a friend had circled the world 'performative' on the flyer they handed out. He said this world (basically coined by Miss Butler) was used wrongly and could not have been placed in a more inappropriate context. He was not a great Butler fan, but felt the need to point out this brazen misuse of her word. I'm not sure how circling the word helped, but I suppose it's the least he could do. My sisters roommate studies art history, and gender roles in art in particular. I told her to dress up as Judith Butler for halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment